Posts Tagged With: Sante Fe

Miraculous Staircase of Saint Joseph…Sante Fe, New Mexico


This is the miraculous staircase of Saint Joseph at Loretto Chapel in Santa Fé, New Mexico. U.S.A., which, after 134 years since it was built in 1878, still confounds architects, engineers, and master craftsmen in the physics of its construction and remains inexplicable in view of its baffling design considerations. The unusual helix shaped spiral staircase has two complete 360° turns, stands 20 feet high up to the choir loft and has no newel (center pole) to support it as most circular stairways have. Its entire weight rests solely on its base and against the choir loft – a mystery that defies all laws of gravity, it should have crashed to the floor the moment anyone stepped on it, and yet it is still in use daily for over a hundred years. The risers of the 33 steps are all of the same height. Made of an apparently extinct wood species, it was constructed with only square wooden pegs without glue or nails. At the time it was built, the stairway had no banisters. These were added 10 years later in 1888 by Phillip A. Hesch at the Sisters’ request.
Scale model simulation of how the Staircase looked
between 1877-1887 before the banisters were added
There are four mysteries that surround the spiral staircase in the Loretto Chapel: the identity of its builder; the physics of its construction which defies all laws of gravity; origin of the type of wood used which does not exist in the entire region or anywhere near it; and the staircase which has 33 steps, the age of Jesus Christ.
Over the years, many have flocked to the Loretto Chapel to see the Miraculous Staircase. The case had been investigated and studied. The staircase has been the subject of many articles, and re-enacted in TV specials, and movies including “Unsolved Mysteries” and the 1998 television movie entitled “The Staircase”, starring Barbara Hershey and William Petersen.
According to the accounts of Mother Magdalen, Mother Superior of the Sisters of Loretto, when the Chapel was completed in 1878, there was no way to access the choir loft twenty-two feet above. Local carpenters were summoned to address the problem, but all concluded that access to the loft would have to be via ladder as a staircase would interfere with the interior space of the small Chapel. The Sisters of Loretto made a novena to Saint Joseph, the Patron Saint of Carpenters, and on the ninth and final day of prayer, a gray-haired man came to the convent on a donkey with a toolbox and approached Mother Magdalen. He asked if he might try to help the Sisters by building a stairway but he needed total privacy. Mother gave her consent gladly, and he set to work and locked himself in the chapel for three months. The only tools he had were a saw, a hammer, a T-square, and a few tubs of water for soaking the wood to make it pliable.

When the staircase was completed, the carpenter disappeared without pay or thanks. The Loretto Sisters ran an advertisement in a local newspaper in search for the man but found no trace of him. They offered a reward for the identity of the man, but it was never claimed. But Mother Magdalen and her community of Sisters and students knew that the stairway was Saint Joseph’s answer to their fervent prayers.  Many were convinced that the humble carpenter was none other than Saint Joseph himself, as his silent, prayerful labors were precisely the virtues one would expect of the foster-Father of Our Divine Lord.

One of the most baffling things about the stairway, however, is the perfection of the curves of the stringers. The wood is spliced along the sides of the stringers with nine splices on the outside and seven on the inside, each fitted with the greatest precision. Each piece is perfectly curved. How this was done in the 1870’s by a single man with only the most primitive tools is inexplicable to modern architects. Many experts have tried to identify the wood and surmise where it came from, but no one has ever been able to give a satisfactory answer to this mystery. The treads were constantly walked on for over a hundred years since the stairway was built, but showed signs of wear only on the edges. The wood was identified as an “edge-grained fir of some sort”, but others say it is a long-leaf yellow pine, but the hard-wearing wood definitely did not come from New Mexico. Where the mysterious carpenter got this wood remains a mystery up to this day.



Brief History of the Chapel of Loretto

In 1610, the Spanish Catholic conquistadors and missionaries founded La Villa Real de la Santa Fe de San Francisco de Assisi, or Royal City of the Holy Faith of St. Francis of Assisi, known today as Santa Fé, the capital of New Mexico. It was occupied by Indians, Mexicans, and Spanish and was under Spanish control until a war which placed this area under the rule of the New Republic of Mexico for 25 years. Later, as a result of the US victory in the Mexican war, this southwest area was ceded to the United States in 1848. At the end of the Old Santa Fe Trail stands the Loretto Chapel.

The history of the Loretto Chapel began when Bishop Jean Baptisite Lamy was appointed Vicar-Apostolic by the Church to the New Mexico Territory in 1850. Bishop Lamy, seeking to spread the Catholic faith and bring an educational system to this new territory, began a letter writing plea for priests, brothers and nuns to preach and teach. In 1852, the Sisters of Loretto responded to Lamy’s pleas and sent seven sisters and opened the Academy of Our Lady of Light (Loretto) in 1853. The campus covered a square block with 10 buildings. Through tuition’s for the girls schooling, donations, and from the sisters own inheritances from their families, they built their school and chapel. Sisters Magdalen, Catherine, Hilaria, and Roberta made up the community.  At the direction of Bishop Lamy, Sister Magdalen was appointed Superior of the Sisters.

It was then decided that the school needed a chapel. Property was purchased and work began on July 25, 1873, with Antoine Mouly as the architect. Mouly and his son, Projectus Mouly, were brought in by Bishop Lamy from Paris, France initially to build what is known today as the St. Francis Cathedral. Bishop Lamy encouraged the sisters to utilize the Moulys to design and build their chapel. In the early 1800s, the older Mouley had been involved in the renovation of King Louis IX’s Sainte Chapelle. It was the favorite chapel of Bishop Lamy from his early days in Paris, France. Hence, the Loretto Chapel was patterned by Mouley after the Sainte Chapelle in the Gothic Revival style, complete with spires, buttresses, and stained glass windows imported from France. It is reported that the sisters pooled their own inheritances to raise the $30,000 required to build this beautiful Gothic chapel.

The Loretto Chapel

The Chapel was to be 25 feet by 75 feet with a height of 85 feet. Stones for the Chapel were quarried from locations around Santa Fe including Cerro Colorado, about 20 miles from Santa Fe. The ornate stained glass was purchased in 1876 from the DuBois Studio in Paris, and was first sent to New Orleans by sailing ship and then by paddle boat to St. Louis, Missouri where it was taken by covered wagon over the Old Santa Fe Trail to the Chapel.

According to the annals of Mother Magdalen, the construction of the Chapel was placed under the special patronage of St. Joseph “in whose honor we communicated every Wednesday, that he might assist us.”  Then she adds, “Of his powerful help we have been witnesses on several occasions.”

The Chapel work progressed and it was not until it was nearly finished that they realized that there was no stairway to connect the Chapel to the choir loft. Moreover, the loft was so exceptionally high that there was no longer any space for a stairway. Mother Magdalen summoned many carpenters to try to build a stairway; but each, in his turn, measured and thought and then shook his head sadly saying, “It can’t be done, Mother”. Mother Magdalen decided, “Let’s wait awhile and make a novena.” So the Sisters of Loretto made a novena to St. Joseph for a suitable solution to the problem. Then the gray-haired man came to the convent and built them the miraculous staircase.

The Chapel was completed in April 25, 1878 and has since seen many additions and renovations such as the introduction of the Stations of the Cross, the Gothic altar and the frescos during the 1890s. Bishop Lamy dedicated the Chapel and named it, Chapel of Our Lady of Light. It was, in many ways, a visible symbol of the courageous Bishop’s opposition to “Americanism”, which was condemned by Pope Leo XIII in 1899.

Tragically, in the devastating aftermath of Vatican Council II, religious vocations dwindled, and the Loretto “sisters” of the new post-conciliar religion, having first betrayed their Order by discarding their traditional religious garb and way of life, ended by betraying the faith and devotion of Mother Magdalen and her Sisters by selling the entire Academy grounds, including the miraculous Chapel, to a commercial property developer.  Most of the historical monuments of the love for souls, zeal for the Catholic Faith, and pious devotion of Bishop Lamy, Mother Magdalen, and the Sisters who established the Loreto Academy of Our Lady of Light were demolished to make way for monuments of secular “progress” (greed and materialism) upon their ruins. Sadly, what the secular government had been unable to accomplish for almost a century, the post-Vatican II church did in a matter of a few short years.

The Loretto Academy was closed in 1968, and the property was put up for sale. At the time of sale in 1971, Our Lady of Light Chapel was informally deconsecrated as a Catholic Chapel.

Fortunately, however, there was such an outcry from the devoted people of Santa Fe, including many of the alumni of the Academy, that the Chapel with the miraculous stairs was preserved as a national monument, albeit amidst the commercialism which surrounds it.

Loretto Chapel is now a private museum operated and maintained, in part, for the preservation of the Miraculous Staircase and the Chapel itself. To this very day, those who love and revere good St. Joseph, can still go and gaze upon that which is, without doubt, a visible testimony that Saint Joseph indisputably finds ways to provide for those who humbly and confidently place their needs in his capable hands.

Categories: Ancient Treasure, Strange News | Tags: , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Metal Detecting spots…Ghost Towns…Iowa…Scott County


Ghost towns:

1. Roundgrove, 3 miles Southeast of New Liberty
2. Allens Grove, 2 1/2 miles Southeast of Dixon
3. Carlson, on the railroad and North County line, 5 miles North Northwest of
Long Grove
4. Martins (Gambrill), on the railroad, 5 miles East of McCausland
5. Argo, 5 miles West Southwest of Princeton
6. Green Tree, 5 miles North and 1 mile West of Davenport. Active from 1878 to
1903
OTHER SITES
1. Fejervary Park is a favorite coin shooter area in Davenport.
2. Credit Island in the Mississippi river was once a picnic grounds
3. Gold was stolen during a train robbery along the Mississippi River West of
Davenport. The amount was between $35,000 and $50,000 and was believed to be
buried in a 3 acre area just off the railroads tracks and the highway, near a
creek in the location.

Categories: Lost Treasure | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Metal Detecting spots…Ghost Towns…Utah..Weber and Rich county


Weber County:
Ghost Towns:
1. West Warren, 10 miles due West of Ogden
2. Liberty, 7 miles Northeast of Ogden
3. Unitah, at the mouth of Weber Canyon, founded in 1850. Once had over 100
stores and shops, hotels, saloons and a brewery.
4. The abandoned La Plata Silver Mine is located 5 miles Northeast of Ogden.

Rich County:
Ghost Towns:
1. Round Valley, on the South end of Bear Lake, 25 miles East of Logan.
2. Sage Creek Junction, near the State line, 35 miles due East of Logan.
3. Spanish mining activity has been found in the Wasatach Range in 1863. A
lost gold lode, discovered by Brigham Young is somewhere in Ferguson Canyon in
the Wasatach Mountains.

Categories: Lost Treasure | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Ghost Town Locations: York County, PA


1. Newberrytown, 12 1/2 miles North of York
2. Strinestown, 9 miles North of York
3. Bigdam, 2 1/2 miles Northwest of Kraltown
4. Mulberry, 2 1/2 miles South Southeast of Kraltown
5. Eastmont, 4 miles Northwest of York
6. Starview, 2 miles South of Mount Wolf
7. Saginaw, on teh Susquehanna River, 4 miles East of Manchester
8. Admire, 1 mile Southeast of Davidsburg
9. Taxville, 3 miles West of West York
10. Swam, 2 1/2 miles Northeast of Abbottstown
11. Ironore (Iron Ridge), 3 miles West Southwest of Spring Grove
12. Jacobs Mills, 4 miles West Southwest of Spring Grove
13. Gitts Run, 2 miles North Northeast of Hanover
14. Helter, 2 miles Southeast of Hanover
15. Marburg, 5 miles East Southeast of Hanover
16. Raubenstine, in far Southwest corner of county on State Line, 5 miles due South of Hanover
17. Larue, 1 1/2 miles Northwest of Glen Rock
18. Graydon, 2 miles South of Loganville
19. Camp Security, built in 1781 to house British Prisoners, 3 miles East of York
20. Long level, on the Susquehanna River, 2 miles South of Wrightsville
21. Freysville, 2 miles Northwest of Windsor
22. Bittersville, 2 1/2 miles East of Windsor
23. Cresap’s Fort, built in 1736 near Craley.
24. Rock High, 3 miles South of Brogue
25. Hopewell Center, 3 miles Southeast of Cross Roads
26. Boyle, 2 1/2 miles Northeast of Shrewsbury
27. Dolf, 2 1/2 miles Northeast of Stewartstown
28. Peach Bottom, on the Susquehanna River, 21 miles due South of Lancaster.

Categories: Lost Treasure | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Here is the poem for the Fenn Treasure that was hidden…..


Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk.
Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it’s no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There’ll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know,
I’ve done it tired and now I’m weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

Categories: Lost Treasure, Strange News | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Want to find his hidden treasure worth millions?…Hidden 3 years ago…


th
===============================================================================
Forrest Fenn, 82, believes too many Americans spend their free time watching TV or playing video games. He hopes the bounty he hid — a chest filled with millions of dollars in gold coins, diamonds and emeralds, among other gems — will prompt some to explore the outdoors. “Get your kids out in the countryside, take them fishing and get them away from their little hand-held machines,” he told TODAY.

Fenn hid the chest in a secret spot three years ago with two goals in mind: Getting people to fall in love with America’s scenic trails and passing on what he calls the “thrill of the chase,” something he has experienced over more than seven decades of hunting for rare objects.
“The Thrill of the Chase” is also the title of Fenn’s self-published autobiography, which contains an unusual map to the treasure, a poem with 9 clues in it. “Begin it where warm waters halt, and take it in the canyon down, not far, but too far to walk,”

The chest, weighing in at over 40 pounds, constructed in the 13th Century, contains items Fenn has accumulated over more than seven decades.

Categories: Lost Treasure, Strange News | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

The Spanish and New Mexico…some information


SPANISH CONQUEST ADORES SEARCH FOR THE CITIES OF GOLD
Nearly 100 years before the Pilgrims landed on the eastern coast of the continent to establish the colonies which were to become the United States, the Spanish explorer and Franciscan friar, Marcos de Niza, arrived in the area of Zuni to look for the fabled cities of gold said to exist there. After a journey of more than two months from Mexico, this adventuresome padre reached a point about forty miles south of present-day Gallup, where, on May 23, 1539, he built a large mound of stone with a cross on top, and dedicated the region to Saint Francis. Fray de Niza was overly exuberant in his description of the area he had found and soon sent word back to Mexico that great riches were to be found. In response to this very glowing report, many Spaniards wanted to lead expeditions to explore the northern country to find the Seven Cities of Gold. The first group was led by Francisco Vasquez Coronado who traveled with 300 Spaniards and 800 Indian allies. They arrived at Cibola in July 1540, after traveling for four months from Mexico City. Coronado’s group included Franciscan friars who were instrumental in convincing the native population that the Spaniards were there to bring peace and friendship. Later in the century, the friars accompanied the colonization groups arriving in the territory to begin their evangelization work. Fray Augustin Rodriquez, then at San Bartolome in Mexico, had heard of people living in the north and set about making arrangements to travel to the area. His small group, with two jother friars, started off from Mexico in June 1581, visiting all of the pueblos in the Rio Grande Valley as well as Zuni and Acoma. They systematically examined each pueblo giving an excellent and accurate description of each one. Instead of returning to Mexico, the two friars remained at Puaray Pueblo where they were later martyred.

THE ESPEJO EXPEDITION
The Franciscans back in Mexico were concerned about the safety of the friars who were left alone in New Mexico and quickly organized an expedition led by Antonio de Espejo. This group, accompanied by Fray Bernardino Beltran, left Mexico on Nov. 19, 1582, and followed the same route of the previous expedition. After reaching Acoma, they traveled to Cibola, where they found three Christian Indians who had gone there with Coronado. This expedition was well described by the chronicler of the party, Diego Perez de Luxan. Espejo learned about the Hopi country from the natives of Zuni. With a large number of Zuni Indians and three Mexican Indians, he went there and found five pueblos. The Hopis greeted the Spaniards in a friendly and hospitable manner. At Awatobi pueblo, they were given food for their return trip to Zuni. Espejo had gained the good will of the Hopi people. Espejo then visited the village of Acoma and was received kindly there as well.

A COLONY IS ESTABLISHED
In 1598, the first colonization expedition was organized under the leadership of Juan de Onate, who was named governor of the new territory. As he traveled through New Mexico, he received the allegiance of the Pueblo Indians. Franciscan friars were assigned to the pueblos along the route, in order to convert the natives to Christianity. Although he had verbal assurance of obedience to the crown, the chief at Acoma planned to trap and kill Onate, but was unsuccessful. The chief was later successful in attacking the nephew of Onate and his company of soldiers, killing all but four. This occurred in 1599. In retaliation, bloody assaults were made by the Spaniards in which hundreds of men were killed. Others were sentenced to having the right foot cut off, followed by twenty years of forced labor. The women and children were also sentenced to a similar period of hard labor. Onate’s expedition then traveled to the first Zuni pueblo, arriving on All Saints Day, 1598. There the natives gave them food. In all the Zuni villages he found crosses being venerated by the Zunis. He then traveled to the Hopi villages, again receiving formal submission and being entertained well by the Hopi. The administration of the Zuni and other pueblos was assigned to Fray Andres Corchado, but no missions were established there at this time. While the colonies were being established, the Franciscan friars organized the Custodia de la Conversion de San Pablo del Nuevo Mexico. The exact date of this is not known, but is thought to be about 1616-1617. It was part of the Provincia de Santo Evangelio de Mexico, with its headquarters at the El Gran Convento in Mexico City. There is no evidence that the Custodia was ever raised to a provincial status. Fray Estevan de Perea was elected the first custodian and served until 1621. He was elected to another term of office at a later time. He and the subsequent ecclesiastical leaders had their headquarters at Santa Fe and were given the rank of Titular Prelate. Following Fray Estevan’s first term, Fray Alonzo de Benavides was appointed custodian. He visited all the pueblos and found that the natives were responding to the evangelization efforts of the friars. He asked for more missionaries to carry on this work. In response to his report of 1626, the King of Spain ordered that 30 more friars be sent to accomplish the work. For many years, all of the Franciscan mission activities in the area had the material support of the King of Spain. It seems he and his advisors regarded this new land valuable only because of the mission work to be done. One visitor to Hopi, Fray Estevan de Perea, wrote of the similarity of the land to Spain. He wrote a glowing report of their well-built homes, their industriousness, and their values.

EARLY MISSIONARIES RECEIVE COOL WELCOME
In 1629, priest arrived at Acoma and Hopi with greatly different welcomes. Based on a report of previous visitors, Fathers Francisco Porras and Andres Gutierrez, along with Brother Cristobal de la Concepcion, expected a warm welcome. They did not know that someone from another pueblo had arrived before them, spreading tales about the friars. The people were told that the friars were arriving to do them harm by burning their homes, stealing their property and killing their children. They were warned not to allow the padres to “sprinkle water” on their heads because it would mean death. Thus, the group found a very cold welcome. They posted guards about their camp, and on the second night after their arrival, they were alerted in time to defend themselves against an armed attack. The Hopis attacked again the next night. The Spaniards ended the attacks by threatening to call an entire army to their defense. The people remained very wary as the friars tried to preach the new faith throughout the village. The people of Awatobi and some of the other villages came to listen. Even though the friars gave them gifts of rattles, beads, hatchets, knives and other objects, their attitude was not softened. They continued to recall the warning they had received from another village. Finally, an incident occurred that changed their attitude. Father Alonzo de Benavides wrote a lengthy report of the incident in 1636, but the incident has never been authenticated by the Church. According to Benavides, Father Francisco had brought with them a cross that had belonged to a Spanish nun of the time, Madre Luisa de Carrion. This cross had a history of apparitions and miraculous conversions. He displayed the cross to the people of Awatobi and told them the story of the Passion and death of our Lord. He failed to gain a favorable response. Meanwhile, the leaders continued encouraging the people to put the priests to death. The presence of the military that accompanied the priests probably prevented the people from carrying out their execution.

BLIND BOY CURED
One day, a group of Hopi people came to Father Francisco, caring with them a young boy who had been born blind. They offered the priest a choice, either cure the boy’s blindness or be slain. If he could carry out their request, they would consent to conversion. Fray Francisco quickly dropped to his knees and began to pray earnestly while lifting the cross toward heaven. It is reported that he arose, continued praying and placed the cross over the boy’s eyes. Benavides reported that the boy cried out aloud, exclaiming that he could see. The people carried the boy through the streets, telling what had occurred and urging conversion. Following this event, many people were impressed by the power of the priest and his religion and asked for conversion. They regarded the priest and brothers with love and respect. Within four years, missions and visitas were established. The village leaders did not share this respect and enthusiasm for the friars and the new faith they wanted to bring to the village. Their hatred and resentment only deepened. They were angry at losing their position of power and respect from the people and were waiting for an opportunity to gain revenge. They made careful plans and on June 28, 1633, an opportunity presented itself.

FRAY FRANCISCO PORRAS IS KILLED
Father Francisco was at Walpi for the day, and poison was put into his food. He quickly realized that he had eaten poisoned food and hurried to the mission at Shungopavi where he received last rites from his colleague. He died after reciting the psalm, “Into they hands, Oh Lord, I commend by spirit.”

ACOMA MISSION ESTABLISHED
At Acoma, things proceeded quite differently. What started as hostility changed into love and respect. Although Fray Juan Ramirez was not the first priest assigned to Acoma, he was the first to finally go there. The deep hostility of the people because of the reprisals on them following the attack on Onate’s nephew, Juan Zaldiver, had prevented the previously assigned priests from carrying out their assignments from the Church. Father Juan had just arrived from old Mexico to serve in the new Custodia. He set out alone and on foot for Acoma, carrying only food, a breviary and a cross. In the face of the hostility, he began his journey up the only trail that led to the top of the 357-foot cliff. The people watched his ascent, throwing rocks at him and a few men shot arrows at him, but he continued unharmed. At this point, a little girl plunged over the edge of the cliff, falling 60 feet and landing on a pointed rock. It is not certain what caused the fall, but the people were stunned. He rushed over to where the little girl had fallen and knelt in prayer. Then he picked her up and carried her to the top of the rock. He gave the child to her parents who discovered that she had not even been bruised. None of this occurrence has been proven. The Acoma people allowed him to enter the village, but still retained their hostility. Soon after, they submitted to him as if he was one with supernatural powers. With this change in attitude, he sent about swiftly to carry out the work of V conversion and began plans for a Church to be constructed in the village. The hard work of construction was carried out by the people who seemed to have developed great love and reverence for this gentle friar. The Church was dedicated to San Estevan Rey, whose feast is September 2nd, the day Father Juan was thought to have arrived at the pueblo. It is not known for certain that the present Church at Acoma is the one built by Father Juan and his flock. At the time of the Reconquest, Diego de Vargas visited the pueblo and noted at the time that the only evidence of damage to the structure was broken windows. Other records describe some construction after the Reconquest, but could have been nothing more than ordinary repairs.

ZUNI MISSIONARIES ARE MARTYRED
In the same year, 1629, Fray Rogue de Figueredo was assigned to the Zuni area where he immediately founded a mission at Hawikuh and called it La Purisima Concepcion. He also founded a mission at Halona and dedicated it to Nuestra Senora de la V Candelaria. Fray Rogue continued his work among the Zuni for three years, converting many natives. His successful work came to an abrupt end when two of his fellow priests were attacked and killed by the natives who had become resentful because of cultural repression and harsh treatment by the conquerors. Fray Francisco Letrado became the first missionary to die for the faith in what is now the Diocese of Gallup. Newly assigned at Zuni, .he went out on Quinquagesima Sunday, February 22, 1632, to urge the people to attend Mass. The first group he met was angered by his reprimand and he quickly became aware that they intended to kill him. He immediately dropped to his knees, a small cross in his hands, and pleaded with them to go to Church. They responded by shooting arrows at him. Shortly before the death of Fray Francisco, Fray Martin de Arvide had stopped by to visit him at Hawikuh, where he prophesied the martyrdom of Fray Francisco, as well as his own. Shortly after, on a visit with Fray Rogue at another Zuni village, he again prophetically stated, “that in a few days he would win the palm of martyrdom.” After he left Zuni to continue his journey to his new assignment, he and his small group stopped to camp for the night. There they were attacked and killed. So, only five days after the death of Fray Francisco, Fray Martin met his fate on V February 27, 1632. Missionary work continued in Zuni for many years and during these years the Zuni villages were under periodic attack from Apache bands in search of food. In 1671, Fray Pedro de Avila y Ayala was assigned to Hawikuh, then considered a dangerous mission because of its vulnerability to Apache attacks. On October 7, 1672, a group of Apaches attacked Hawikuh where Fray Pedro was alone without the protection of his soldiers. He rushed to the Church where he embraced the cross and a statue of the Blessed Mother . The natives responded by dragging him out of the Church. They put him at the foot of the cross in the churchyard and crushed his head with a bell. Following this, they bummed the Church, destroying the sacred ornaments and statues. The next day a fellow priest went to Hawikuh in search of his body. He found it where it had been left, surrounded by more than 200 arrows and stones. He brought the body to Halona and buried it in the Church. The mission at Hawikuh was then abandoned.

NATIVES ARE SUBJECTED TO HARSH TREATMENT
In the years leading up to the revolt, the natives were subjected to harsher and harsher treatment at the hands of the Spanish colonists, who continued to put heavy demands on them and tried to suppress all native practices of religion. Frequently, the missionaries were on the side of the Indians, trying to get better treatment for them. Laws affecting the proper treatment of the natives were difficult to enforce because of the great distance from central Mexico. The use of Indian slave labor was common because the Spaniards rationalized that they could Christianize the people more quickly and easily that way. While enforcing the conversion of the people, the Spanish colonists set very poor behavioral examples and the word “Christian” became synonymous with someone who came to kill and plunder them, seize the women and sell them into slavery. THE PUEBLO REVOLT The resentment of the people continued to build up and by 1680, the tolerance of the Indians had ended. A revolt was scheduled for August 13, but because the plot was revealed to two friars, the Indians attacked immediately on August l0th. It was their plan to kill all the Spaniards and completely erase Christianity from their world. The pueblos in the area of the Diocese of Gallup actively participated, carrying out the assignment. Some of the missionaries were killed in the uprising, including four at Hopi. One of them, Fray Jose Trujillo, had previously been assigned in the Philippines. There he had been told that he would realize his desire for martyrdom in the mission field of New Mexico. He arrived at Hopi in 1674. Following his arrival, at some time, he wrote to a friar in Mexico that he had been told that a revolt would occur soon in the area. A young girl there, who supposedly had been cured by the Blessed Virgin, reported that the Lady had told her to warn everyone of the impending attack. Fray Jose was killed during the attack by the local natives at the Church of San Bartolome de Shungopavi. The other three friars who became victims of the Hopi part in the Pueblo Rebellion were Fray Jose de Espeleta, who had been a former custodian and a missionary to the pueblo for more than 30 years, and Fray Augustin de Santa Maria. They were both killed at the mission of San Francisco de Oraibi. Fray Jose de Figueroa, was killed at the mission of San Bemardo de Awatobi. t the same time, Fray Juan de Val was killed in Zuni while he was standing before the altar at the mission of La Purisima Concepcion at Hawikuh. At Acoma, according to their legend, they seized the only friar there at the time, Fray Lucas Maldonado, and threw him off the rock.

THE RECONQUEST
After 12 years, Don Diego de Vargas was appointed to regain New Mexico. On his journey north from El Paso, he carried with him the statue of our Lady of the Conquest. In 1625, when Fray Benavides went to New Mexico to visit the priests in his custodia, he brought with him a carved wooden statue of the Virgin Mary in the form of Our Lady of the Assumption. Upon the arrival in Santa Fe he ordered that a chapel be built to house the statue. It remained in Santa Fe under the titles of Our Lady of the Conception and Our Lady of the Rosary until the Pueblo Revolt. During its stay in Santa Fe, the people remembered that the Statue had been brought at the time of the conquest and she became known as La Conquistadora. When the Spaniards fled at the time of the revolt, the statue was taken to El Paso where it remained in a small Church unti11692, when Don Diego de Vargas carried the statue back to Santa Fe with him at the time of the Reconquest. It is still there, housed in a side chapel of adobe in the large stone Cathedral of Saint Francis.

Categories: Lost Treasure, Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Ghosts and Haunting’s in Albuquerque, New Mexico


Albuquerque Press Club – Originally built as a family residence in 1903, it was called the Whittlesey House. Over the years it passed into various hands and at one time many of the rooms were rented to people who were convalescing from two nearby sanitariums. Today, the building serves as a nightclub and most of the phenomena are the many strange sounds heard by the staff and visitors. High heeled shoes are often heard walking across the bar and lobby areas, the piano sometimes plays of its own accord, and strange voices are sometimes heard. The apparition of a woman in a black shawl that the staff call “Mrs. M” has appeared to numerous people over the years.

The Arroyo – The Spirit of La Llorona, the weeping woman, is said to wander along this draining ditch crying and searching for her lost children. Thought to have murdered her children long ago, the legend is often told to children by their parents in order to get them to behave.

  – Allegedly there are glowing rooms that have been seen in unused portions of the hospital as well as invisible “force fields” that sometimes stop people from passing through doors and hallways. These barriers make a hissing sound when encountered. Also reported, are the sounds of sobbing, voices and heartbeats and black robed figures are seen in the darkened hallways.

Church Street Café – This 18 room hacienda, nestled in the heart of Old Town, dates back to 1709. Originally built as a residence by the Ruiz family, it was referred to as the Case de Ruiz for nearly 200 years. One of the oldest structures in the State of New Mexico , it remained in the Ruiz family until the last family member, Rufina G. Ruiz, died in 1991 at the age of 91. After Marie Coleman purchased the property and began renovations for the Church Street Café, it was found that the building continued to be inhabited by the spirit Rufina Ruiz’s mother, a woman named Sara Ruiz. Known to be a “curandera,” or healer, Sara was obviously not happy with the renovations as she once yelled at Marie when she brought in a contractor, “Get him out of here, now!” Once a contractor was finally hired, buckets began to mysteriously get kicked around. These types of antics continued until Marie began to talk to the spirit. Employees have seen Sara’s spirit in the café dressed in a long black dress and a number of customers have felt her presence.

Haunted Hill – Located at the end of Menaul Boulevard in the foothills, allegedly visitors have heard the sounds of screaming, phantom footsteps and bodies being dragged. According to the legend, an old man once lived in the caves at the top of the hills, sometimes bringing prostitutes there and killing them. Other reports tell of the apparition of an old man walking and the swinging of a lantern by unseen hands.

Kimo Theatre – The Kimo Theatre, a Pueblo Deco picture palace, was opened on September 19, 1927. No institution stands through time without something bad happening and the Kimo is no exception. In 1951, a six year old boy named Bobby Darnall was killed when the boiler in the basement exploded, demolishing part of the original lobby. It is this boy, wearing a striped shirt and blue jeans that is often seen playing on the lobby staircase. But he is also known to play numerous impish tricks, such as tripping the actors and creating a ruckus during performances. To appease the spirit, the cast hangs doughnuts on the water pipe that runs along the back wall of the theatre behind the stage.

Luna Mansion – Actually located in Los Lunas, New Mexico, a nearby suburb of Albuquerque, the Luna-Otero Mansion in is known for its great steaks, hot chili, and tantalizing deserts; but that’s not all it’s known for. It’s also renowned for its resident ghosts. In side this 1881 mansion turned restaurant, there have been many reported sightings of the ghost of Josefita Otero, who seemingly prefers the second floor bedrooms and the stairway. Other reported phenomenon includes chairs that move on their own accord and pots and pans that often heard rattling in an otherwise empty kitchen

Maria Teresa Restaurant –This beautiful old hacienda, turned restaurant dates back to 1783 when it was built by a man named Salvador Armijo. Today it has the dubious distinction of being one of New Mexico’s most haunted buildings. At least four different spirits have been seen wandering through the restaurant on various occasions. Other phenomenon includes a piano that seemingly plays of its own accord, employees who are touched by unseen hands, reflections of ghosts appearing in mirrors, unseen voices, and flatware and tables that mysteriously move on their own.

Rancho de Corrales – Not actually in Albuquerque, but about 15 miles north of the city, in Corrales, New Mexico , this gracious old hacienda was built in 1801 by Diego Montoya. The sprawling adobe home, with its thick walls and heavily timbered ceilings was, at first, a peaceful oasis surrounded by orchards. However, that all changed when the Luis and Louisa Emberto purchased the property in 1883. Some five years after they moved in, a bloody shootout occurred. It all started when Luis discovered that his wife was having an affair and moved out of the hacienda promising to return and kill both her and her lover. On April, 1898, made good on his promise and shot his wife twice.

An armed posse soon surrounded the hacienda and in the gun battle that ensued, Luis was struck down. Due to the scandalous circumstances of the couple’s death, they were not allowed a proper burial in the church cemetery and were their remains were interred across the irrigation ditch to the west of the building.

Today, the restless pair continue to make their presence known at the hacienda turned restaurant. Reported activities include items that seemingly move on their own, the sounds of disembodied voices, and the appearance of a woman in 1800’s era clothing. Others have heard the sound of midnight parties in the old hacienda.

San Pedro Library – There are said to be a number of strange occurrences in the library including lights that turn on and off of their own accord and objects that move by themselves. Additionally, at night a disembodied voice is often heard to say, “Please, come check out a book.” Others report the apparitions of children that are seen in darkened rooms.

Wool Warehouse Theater Restaurant – This building, a National Historic Landmark, was built in 1929 by prominent wool business man, Frank Bond, as his New Mexico headquarters. Designed by T. Charles Gaastra, who had recently returned from a trip to Egypt, the building prominently displays the Egyptian influence. Today the historic building is part of the Double Tree Hotel Complex. Encompassing some 5,000 square feet, the Wool Warehouse Theater Restaurant is housed on the second floor. During performances a man in a cream-colored double breasted suit has been known to have appeared on the stage. Thought to be Mr. Bond himself, the spirit seems to be pleasant and is also known to happily watch the productions from the side stage. On the other hand, the stairs behind the stage that lead to the basement, are thought to hold are more malevolent spirit. Employees have reported feeling pushed by unseen hands, something or someone that grabs their ankles, and strange noises emanating from the walls. This has frightened some to such an extent, that they refuse to go to the basement. Other paranormal activities reported are the feeling of hot and cold spots, being watched, and items that are mysteriously moved.

Xilinx Building – Today, this building serves as a technology development center, but this has not always been the case. The building once served as a mental health hospital. Today, staff report mysterious banging sounds throughout the building, groans heard in the courtyard, and whispers in the back office area. Others tell of objects that seemingly move of their own accord, and shadowy figures that are soon moving along the hallways.

Categories: Strange News | Tags: , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

mayanexplore.com

Riviera Maya Travel Guide

Cajun Food, Louisiana History, and a Little Lagniappe

Preservation of traditional River Road cuisine, Louisiana history & architecture, and the communities between Baton Rouge & NOLA

Jali Wanders

Wondering and Wandering

Southpaw Tracks

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.” ~Samuel Adams

Pacific Paratrooper

This WordPress.com site is Pacific War era information

what's the formula?

Nurturing awesomeness: from the parents of celebrities, heroes, trailblazers and leaders

Tarheel Red

A Voice of Conservatism Living in Carolina Blue

cancer killing recipe

Just another WordPress.com site

dreamshadow59

A great WordPress.com site

Mike's Look at Life

Photography, memoirs, random thoughts.

Belle Grove Plantation Bed and Breakfast

Birthplace of James Madison and Southern Plantation

Letters for Michael

Lessons on being gay, of love, life and lots of it

Sunny Sleevez

Sun Protection & Green Info

Backcountry Tranquility

A journal about my travels and related experiences :)

LEANNE COLE

Art and Practice

Lukas Chodorowicz

Travel, culture and lifestyle experienced on my adventures around the world. All photos taken by me. Instagram: @colorspark

BunnyandPorkBelly

life is always sweeter and yummier through a lens. bunnyandporkbelly [at] gmail [dot] com

%d bloggers like this: