Castle Dome is located 30 miles north of Yuma. Once a thriving industrial town bustling with more than 3,000 inhabitants, Castle Dome is now a deserted place in the desert.
Categories: Lost Treasure, Uncategorized
Tags: Arizona, church, Ghost town, hotel, lead, mining, post office, saloon, silver, Yuma
Originally called Fairview, the town was settled in 1880-81 by miners who found the area more agreeable than nearby Chloride. By 1884, it had 3,100 people, a school, a newspaper, horseraces and a bar, and featured literary readings, plays and songfests at Cloudman Hall (named for the local butcher, William Cloudman).
Miner, businessman and future state legislator Frank H. Winston moved to town in 1882. He eventually owned Fairview Cattle Co., Frank Winston Co. general merchandise and the Fairview Garage. He was a kind man, extending credit to customers during bad financial times. After his death in 1929 (he is buried in a cemetery in Chloride), the town was renamed in his honor.
Winston declined as silver prices dropped. By 1940, the population was about 400, and was 250 by 1946. Today, only a few families remain. Some old buildings still stand, including the school (built in 1890), Frank Winston’s home, his carriage house and store. A flood in the 1950s wiped out many others
Built in 1898 as a jewel in Fred Harvey’s famed chain of railroad hotels, La Castaneda is one of the early Harvey Houses to be built in the Mission Revival Style. Its main facade and courtyard face the railroad tracks. A visit to La Castaneda should include a walk through the hotel’s grand lobby and dining room, both remarkably intact.
Mission style brick two-story building has a U-shaped plan with central bell tower, sign on tower, arches on wraparound porch. Signs include “18 Hotel Castañeda 98,” “Hotel Office,” “Western Union Telegraph and Cable Office,” and Richards & Pringles Famous Georgia Minstrels.
The hotel is reported to be haunted by the original owners, voices, footsteps and orbs have been noted.