Built in 1898 as a jewel in Fred Harvey’s famed chain of railroad hotels, La Castaneda is one of the early Harvey Houses to be built in the Mission Revival Style. Its main facade and courtyard face the railroad tracks. A visit to La Castaneda should include a walk through the hotel’s grand lobby and dining room, both remarkably intact.
Mission style brick two-story building has a U-shaped plan with central bell tower, sign on tower, arches on wraparound porch. Signs include “18 Hotel Castañeda 98,” “Hotel Office,” “Western Union Telegraph and Cable Office,” and Richards & Pringles Famous Georgia Minstrels.
The hotel is reported to be haunted by the original owners, voices, footsteps and orbs have been noted.